Ahh, little girls’ summer dresses. I’m planning a few different styles for tiny niece this year.
This one is the Purl Bee Smocked Dress & Shirt pattern which I received for free when I signed up for their newsletter.
I think I did some smocking at school, and it was fun to try it again. I say fun – I decided to use polka dots rather than the gingham they recommend, and it took a few tries to get it right.
It’s a lovely pattern. The smocking produces beautiful pleats at the neckline and a gently gathered full skirt. The binding finishes the arm edge and extends to form straps.
The only thing I will change next time is the width of the binding. I found 1 5/8″ rather narrow and fiddly, and the inside isn’t as neat as I would like. I think making the binding a little wider would make the dress much faster to sew.
On Monday, I’ll show you how I did the smocking on polka dots. It’s very easy but might save you some time if you’d like to try it!