This Farhi dress has been a favourite for years, and the top was looking rather worn. The skirt still looked good though and it is such a beautiful pinky red, so I thought I’d try to save it.
I removed the side zip and cut off the top. Then I lengthened the remaining zip slit and inserted a skirt length zip. There wasn’t enough fabric in the top to make waist facings, so I used a wide piece of bias binding. I sewed this to the top (right sides together), folded it over and machined it down.
And an added extra – a beautiful Ghost dress which I’ve had for a couple of years and not worn. It’s a very floaty, slightly sheer dress, but it had elbow length sleeves which meant it didn’t work for hot weather or holidays. So I took a deep breath and cut them off!
After a lot of thought, I decided to leave a centimetre of sleeve attached, which I folded over twice then handstitched to the inside. This meant I kept the original topstitching on the edge. Here’s the inside.
And I’m very pleased to report that I have already worn it, for our wedding anniversary dinner!