I haven’t tucked a top into a skirt for years! But when I took the initial pictures of this skirt, I realised it looked so much better with my t-shirt tucked in. It’s funny how that wasn’t obvious to me in the mirror.
Then I realised that I had been lazy about fitting, because I thought the skirt waist would be covered by my top. Taking it in by an inch has made it much more flattering.
I bought this fabric before I knew what I was going to make with it – love the colour! Then I realised that the print would mean most of my skirt patterns wouldn’t work as they would chop it up. Burda 7531 seemed to be a good solution. There is a seam down the front and back, which I’ve highlighted with a row of stitching, and a dart across the front. Otherwise, it’s a straightforward shape which meant pattern matching went pretty well.
The front and back seam lines and horizontal darts give a lovely shape.
I’m looking forward to trying the pattern in a plainer fabric which will show off the seam lines. I have some vintage tweed which I think will be great for the winter.